Sunday, June 17, 2012

I have to admit I am not a huge fan of Wood's book.  I found myself sitting down to read it many times and unable to stay focused.  His book is not my book of choice.  Not because of his content, but because I need a book that allows the left brain and right brain to work together.  I love how Hakim's book is vibrant and bold.  The neat facts and variety of visual aides allow me to stay focused and enjoy what I am reading.   She is my kind of author!!  (I need to stress the word MY... as we all have different learning styles.)

The article I chose to read was the Good and Bad Words from Joy Hakim's book (pages 178-182).  I have always been intrigued by the Constitution.  I feel like I learned (and remembered) so much from Hakim's writing.  The first piece that stuck out to me was a box that compared the Constitution to the Declaration of Independence. Hakim wrote that they are not the same things. The Declaration of Independence states goals and the Constitution states what can be done of the government.  Simple and well said. 

Hakim goes on to state that she felt the Founders were practical men.  They were thinking about the future and not just the present time ( I agree).  She went on to state how "We the People" were not all treated equally or fairly, but it was probably the best practical way they knew at that time.   Some issues had to be tiptoed around (ex. slavery), even if the Founders did not agree.  The "We the People" has always pushed our country to become equals and gradually encourage change.  She ended this thought with a simple question of what would you do if you were a delegate?

Wood's writing about the Constitution was "just the facts".  His writing did not allow me to feel what the Founders and people during that time period were feeling.  I got the basic information about the Constitution and a few other interesting facts, such as the influences of religious believes of the people during that time.

I'm excited to for our week long adventure!!!  Safe travels!!

2 comments:

  1. Kristin,
    I agree with you on finding the Hakum book easier to read but I think it does have a lot to do with how we learn and keeping our attention. Some people I'm sure prefer the Wood's book easier to read depending on their learning style. I think that is why it is so important to teach with a variety of materials in as many different ways that we can to meet all our students needs. I really enjoyed brainstorming ideas with you on how to teach everything we are learning about in Kindergarten. I have been working on the Constitution day centers and look forward to comparing and improving them with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,
    I am in total agreement with your statement. The Hakim book was so much easier for me to read. However, I'm sure some people prefer the Wood's book. It all depends on how we learn and what keeps up focused and our attention on task. Since we both teach Kindergarten we know the importance of trying to meet so many needs at one time. I think that is why it is critical to teach with a variety of materials and in as many different styles as we can. I'm working on the Constitution centers and look forward to comparing notes and improving them with you. I really enjoyed all our discussions and I'm learning so much from you! THANKS.

    ReplyDelete